Saturday, April 5, 2008

The First Day of Another Day In Paradise

Blogging seems to be the thing to do. Many of our missionary colleagues are doing it. Since becoming missionaries, we've occasionally sent out an email newsletter. But we've not been very consistent. Sometimes it seems a bit daunting to get something written, though really, it's not that hard. In the bogs that I've followed, I have found that I like the ones that post brief stories frequently, so that's what we'll try to do with this.

Right now it's Saturday. I have a cold. I've been coughing, aching, eye-watering, nose-running and feeling sorry for myself. I'm especially annoyed because I just got over a cold last week. It doesn't seem fair. But really, how sorry should I feel? Just up the road from my house are a hundred people who have a lot more than colds. I ought to be feeling more sorry for them.

So what do missionaries do on Saturday? Sometimes they do exactly the same things that they do Monday through Friday. Working at a hospital that follows regular work hours, if I'm not on call, I don't have to work there. On Saturdays we often do things related to our work. I may work on documents for coming volunteers' medical registrations or or visas. Judy may do things related to housing for volunteers. This morning she drove a volunteer couple to the airport to return home to the US. At the moment, we're watching "Little People, Big World," one of Judy's favorite shows. My brother-in-law records this and other shows, and burns them to DVD. Every couple of weeks he mails a package of the DVDs and magazines.

I've enabled comments for this blog, so feel free so leave us a few words.

Yours and His,
Andy

7 comments:

  1. Andy...so sorry that you are sick...we will pray for you! Give Judy a hug for us, BUT don't give her the cold! God Bless You..Glenda John

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jael Girard. You met me and my brother in 2006 at the NTM Guesthouse when I was real sick. I have since recovered fully, although I never made it to a doctor to find out what was wrong. I have recently been engaged and will be married in October. My brother, Enoch, is now a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corps, and is doing very well. I have been meaning to let you guys know how we have been doing, and this seemed like a good time. I will definitly bookmark your blog and read your updates. I enjoy news from PNG. :) God Bless!

    Jael Girard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Congratulations on the first blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Andy, Judy, and family,
    It is Saturday morning. As we spend time just reflecting on this past week--how faithful God was throughout the entire District NMI Convention and District Assembly on the WaPac District.
    Again, we so love and appreciate all that you are doing each day. You are very precious to God and to us. John and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy & Judy, This is great...it is something I am in the habit of checking since Becky's been in London! Thanks for the updates and we will be sure to leave you a few words!
    Love you, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for including us in your ministry. I love to see the pictures and hear the stories of God's amazing work around the world. Seattle Aurora is considering coming to PNG in the spring of 2009. We are seeking God's will. Get well, Andy! I feel your pain...sniff, sniff!
    Cindy Whiteman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy,
    Your Blog touched my heart this morning. I prayed for encouragement for you today...I wished that I could reach out and hug you! You make me want to do more for my Jesus..God Bless You!Glenda John

    ReplyDelete