Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Night in Paradise (Part 3)

You'll remember that I originally wrote this just over a week ago. Here's the rest of the story.

1
Dave went to his apartment for a water bottle, and I found a few peanuts in my locker (I always keep some there). We sat and visited for a few minutes, feasting on peanuts and water while we waited for the crew to get everything ready, then went down and did the operation. Again, it went well. This time, there was no dread ring of the phone at the end of the case. At about 4:30 we went to Labor, just to check, then made our way home.

I ate a bowl of cornflakes, then crawled into bed a little after 5. But the story doesn't end there.

The local custom here is that the doc on call Friday night will come in on Saturday morning to round on his or her own ward, leaving the rest to the doctor who is coming on call for the weekend. Judy knew that she had to wake me. It was pretty hard to get out of that warm bed at 7:45. For some reason, I didn't make it to the hospital until nearly 9. Judy had been out jogging, and told me that something was going on at the ER, but she couldn't really tell what.
2
When I got there, I heard that Dr. Erin Meier (click to see her blog--I'll bet there will be a story there by now) was swamped in the ER with 9 victims of a motor vehicle accident. I did rounds on my ward (Adult Medicine), checked on the patients from last night, and caught up with Erin, who filled me in on the MVA. She mentioned that a lot of off-duty nurses and nursing students had rushed in to help with the work. Before I could go home, I had promised to do something for the friend of a friend, which I did in my exam room in the Outpatient Department, next door to the ER. No sooner had I started than one of the ER nurses called me to come and help them. One of the victims of teh MVA had stopped breathing, and had no heartbeat. I went to check on him and made a brief attempt to get a breathing tube into him, but quickly concluded that he was now beyond my help.

3
So now I'm home, sitting at my computer reliving the night. I'm thinking of that young woman, who wanted so much to be a mom, and of that little life, ended before it really started. I'm thinking of those two healthy babies, now sleeping contentedly by their moms on the maternity ward. I'm wondering about that young man who died in the ER--I don't even know if he has a wife or kids. I'm thinking of the thousands of people who would have no health care without Kudjip Hospital. Kudjip Hospital is me. Kudjip Hospital is Dr. Erin, and Dr. Bill, and Dr. Scott, and Dr. Susan, and Dr. Jim, and the dozens of volunteer doctors and medical students who come here each year. Kudjip Hospital is those OR nurses and anesthetists who just say, “That's alright, we'll do it.” It's the ER nurses, trying to save lives threatened by violence, alcohol and bad roads. It's the labor ward nurses and aides staying long after their shift is over. But it's also you, praying and giving to keep us going.
4
Judy has gone to take a group of people up the river so that they can float back down on inner tubes. When I came in, the dogs told me that they love me unconditionally. My nice new coffee maker (a "going away" gift from Sam) is gurgling, and emitting the smell of brewing coffee. I don't know if I'll make it through day without a nap.

COMMENTS

Photos:
1 Kudjip Nazarene Hospital
2 Dr. Susan Myers and Dr. Scott Dooley discussing a patient
3 Dr. Jim Radcliffe on the ward
4 A scenery shot to remind you what a beautiful place this is

2 comments:

  1. I love napping. 20 minutes can do wonders. I hope you get a longer nap and get caught up! Thanks for sharing your experiences. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on you.
    It is great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete