Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grace and Peace

A week isn't a long time, but perhaps it's long enough to start to put things into perspective.

Last night (very late last night) as I walked home from the hospital I was thinking a lot about events of a week ago. Looking back, I can see now that there probably wasn't a time when Sam's life was in immediate danger, but it sure felt like it to him, and it sure felt like it to me. At least it allowed me to have a clear idea as to how it would feel to lose him. And it allowed me to have a better idea than before of what it must feel like for any father, any parent to lose a child.

That trip to the hospital had been to see a critically-ill child. I'd been called to his bedside several times during the day, but this time he hadn't made it. I've had that experience more times than I want to remember, and each time I pray with the parents. Each time I want to think of just the right thing to say, the right way to pray that will give them comfort. But it always comes down to the same thing; I pray for grace and peace for them. It always seems so inadequate, but it's all I have to offer.

As I walked home, I thought of those events of a week earlier, and of my feelings when I had thought about the possibility of losing our boy, and how God had ministered His grace and peace to us. I realized that it is no small thing. What more could any of us ask than for a measure of grace and peace? It is what Paul prayed for the recipients of every one of his epistles.

And it's what I pray now:

Grace and Peace to you,

Andy

Photo: Me with Randy, whose name is a combination of "Ray" (Comstock) and "Andy."

1 comment:

  1. Andy, well said. What an unimaginable gift. . .grace . . . and peace. Thanks for sharing. I miss you guys heaps and wish that when I'm in Sydney next week I could just trek a little farther north back to Kudjip!
    Grace a peace to you,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete