Sunday, June 8, 2008

A New Experience

The other day I had a new experience for me--maybe in this day and age not necessarily unique to PNG.

One of my good national friends had just discovered that her husband had been unfaithful to her. He had actually taken a second wife, turning his back on my friend, his 3 children and on the Lord.

The amount of HIV and AIDS is rapidly accelerating in PNG. Statistics show that this country is at the place Africa was 10 years ago. The government, our church and other Christian churches are working hard and fast to teach people what AIDS is and how not to get it.

The woman that he had taken up with had been with many other men. My friend, a strong Christian, needed to go to our hospital lab to have an HIV test. I didn't want her to go alone. I went with her and held her hand.

Its hard to do things like that privately in this culture. So here's this holy living woman having a test that brings into question her own morality. It was hard but through it all the Lord gave her peace.

It brought to my mind Matthew 11:28,29 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

As we got ready to leave, we looked over to the chapel doors. There was a tired, maybe sick woman resting on the ground. Under the cross. What a reminder that's where we need to be no matter what circumstances we face in life!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment