Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spelling Issues Revisited

I happened to be looking again at yesterday's post ("why ever would he read his own blog?" you ask? "because I don't always remember what I said", I say), and noticed at least 3 typing errors--extra letters, a missing apostrophe. I thought about editing the post, but the 'net is running veeeeeerrrrryyy slooooooooly right now, so it would take a long time. So I decided that instead of fixing it, I'd just apologize. Sorry. I'm old and shaky, and my fingers don't always hit the right keys.

Sometimes it's not just keys adjacent to the correct ones that I manage to hit, but keys in a far part of the keyboard, extra letters just inserted at odd places. I suspect that subconscious motor patterns developed over the years just take over, and certain letter combinations just lead to instinctively adding certain other letters. For instance, I find it hard to type the word "and." "Odd," you say? "You've typed 'and' many times, and with so much practice, that one should be easy." "Ah," I say. "But I've typed it so many times followed by a 'y' that sometimes my fingers just automatically want do that."

Something that affects the final outcome of my typing efforts is my eyes. The letters on the screen just aren't as distinct as they should be. Not out of focus, exactly, just indistinct. Small adjacent letters sometimes blend together. Sometimes I manage to stick an extra 'i' into a word--the word doesn't quite look right, but I can't tell what's wrong, especially if the 'i' is next to a letter with a straight upright bit, like an 'n' or an 'm'. Maybe that's because I'm just a bad speller (mostly corrected electronically, these days) and really don't know that 'tyiping' is wrong? It's almost like the way old people describe their vision with cataracts! Hey, come to think of it, that eye doctor in Nampa laughed at me (we health professionals are allowed to break the rules of good chair-side manner with each other) when he was ophthalmoscoping my eyes because I (an incredibly young person to have such things) had cataracts.

Does anyone know any good any good ophthalmologists in the Nampa/Boise area? Maybe I should contact the afore-mentioned bemused optometrist and see who he likes. In the meantime, please be patient with me. I'm old and infirm.

4 comments:

  1. Andy, I have a friend that had cataract surgery in his 30's. Randy also has cataracts so I checked to see who he would advise. He and his wife advised we check out Dr. Harf. See what your doctor has to say about him.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you better join the AARP. Maybe you could get a discount on the cataract extraction?
    Mark Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've thought about AARP since I've been old enough to join. Now I really feel old. Arthritis, cataracts and an AARP card. It's clear.

    By the way, did you lie on your Facebook profile? How can you be that young? You must have skipped a couple of grades to get into college when you did. Or am I actually aging faster than my peers? Like were we the same age when we started college, and now I'm 2 years older? Wow. Life is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois, thanks for the tip.

    Randy who? I'll investigate Dr. Harf. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete