Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Tale of Five Cities

|
Hey! We're in the US! At the moment in SFO waiting for our flight to Idaho, our kids and family. It's been a fairly uneventful trip, except for evening adventures in Port Moresby.

Our flight from Mt. Hagen down to PNG's capital was delayed a couple of hours, which meant we got in after dark. There are two taxi companies that reliably know where the Mapang Missionary House (where we would stay) is. There were no cabs of either company around. In the past we had taken a cab after the driver said he knew where it was, but really didn't, and weren't willing to take a chance again. Eventually we parked our luggage carts near the entrance of the domestic terminal, where there are lots of security guards. Judy stayed with the stuff while I sought help. At Air Niugini Customer Service I met Virginia, who tried to phone either of the companies we knew, but then called another, which she said was trustworthy. Then she came out with me to give directions to the cabbie personally, since she lives near Mapang. When we went out, we found that Judy had become firends of Shelly, one of the security guards. By that time Judy had been waiting outside for a half-hour, and it took another half-hour for the cab to come, so we had a nice visit with these two helpful young ladies.

The cab finally came, took us straight to Mapang, where we found a hot meal and a comfortable bed waition. We got up at 3:50 Sunday morning to make our way to the airport and our flight to Brisbane.

Because of a change in itinerary forced on us by the airline, we had to overnight in Brisbane. Not a bad city to be stuck in. We had a few hours to relax, and took a brief excursion on the Brisbane river to a park area with a food court to get a bite to eat. Then back to the hotel, up early again to go on to Sydney and then on to the US.

Here we are. We'll see our kids in just a few hours! We appreciate your prayers.

COMMENTS

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy and Judy! Not sure if you remember me or not, but this is Jennifer Durham (now Grutzik), a Trevecca PA student that was over there for May and June of 2005. I was there with Jenny Bradshaw. Oh yeah, I'm sure you remember me since we were the two that got stuck in Singapore due to VISA issues... Anyway, I've been thinking about Kudjip way more often than I normally do (which has been quite frequently over the past few years.) So, I finally decided to get on-line and find out what's going on at the hospital. Looks like a nice maternity addition is going up and the Dooley girls are getting soo big! God is good isnt he? I still have the card I had received at Olivia's baby shower called "A Prayer for Olivia Joy" in my Bible as I pray for you all every time I see it. I just wanted to say Hi and that you guys were such an inspiration to me and I've been on a few medical mission trips to Guatemala over the past couple years and really hope to come back to Kudjip one day. My husband is eager to see first hand all the stories I tell him about being over there. Thanks again for igniting the passion of tropical medicine in my heart. God uses you all in so many ways so keep up the good work!
    Much love through Christ,
    Jennifer Grutzik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer! Great to hear from you! Yeah, a lot has changed. Not sure what you mean by "maternity addition"--it's a whole new hospital! Check out my facebood profile for a series of photo albums of it. Come back and see it for yourself! Email me when you're ready to discuss scheduling.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete