Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Boy With Two Good Feet

.
Do you see anything wrong with these feet?

No?

Neither do I. But a few months ago, they looked like this:
.

The condition is called Congenital Talipes Equinovarus, but is commonly called "clubfoot." Treatment, when you can treat it in the first few months of life is low-tech. It involves stretching the ligaments and tendons once a week, then placing casts on the feet to hold them in position. It requires several weeks of casts, followed by a procedure to release the tight tendon in the back of the ankle. The babies must then wear a special splint at all times, "24/7" for 3 months, followed by a period of 3 years of wearing the splint while asleep. That requires a lot of commitment on the part of the parents.

I'm learning to treat clubfoot. Learning from books, the web, anyone who has some knowledge and experience. So far I have treated about 14 babies. The problem is, when the feet get to looking pretty good (about the end of the casting) parents stop bringing the babies in. I have several splints that I made for babies who never came back to get them. That's why I was so happy to see Isaiah on Thursday. He's been wearing his splints full-time for 3 months, and gets to "graduate" to wearing them at night and for naps. He looks really good, as you can see for yourself.

While we're on the topic of talipes, another of my kids got his new splint on Thursday, and since he's a cute baby and all, I thought I'd show him as well.

The splints are home-made. Commercially-made splints exist, but out of our price range, not to mention all the logistic problems of getting the splints shipped here, getting new ones as the kids grow, etc. So home-made is working out for now. I need baby shoes, though, if anyone is interested in sending some.

COMMENTS

8 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! I may be able to help get you some training. shoot me a mail and tell me a bit about yourself! seth@operationof.org

    best,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference! It must be very rewarding to see the result of your persistent efforts.

    Denny Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm posting this comment at 11:06 pm, Friday, Feb. 13, 2009, U.S. Mountain Standard Time. Now let's see what it says on the blog!

    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lord for bringing healing to these children through your people and their skills and knowledge. You are the best God . Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Andy,

    Hard soled baby shoes are hard to find these days, but I am looking!

    Di Schray (Chehalis Washington)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments!

    Den, yeah, I love the work with the talipes kids. Your comment was timed 5:06 PM on the 14th, which I think is an hour off. There is something funny about my time-zone setting--I don't know.

    Di, there is quite a bit of stiffness added by being glued to the wood of the splint. Little sneakers are fine, if they are lace-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the comment about needing baby shoes. Will used ones be acceptable if they are still in good shape? Also our son had to wear a bar on his shoes to keep his ankles straight after thde casts came off(he's now 49 and still plays basketball). Would this be of use to you?

    June Russell - russj99@aol.com

    ReplyDelete