Monday, February 16, 2009

The Lady With Three Diseases

.
And this year's prize for the best attitude in the worst circumstances goes to Elis.

I met her just a few weeks ago. She had been a patient on the maternity ward. When she was admitted there it was discovered that she was HIV positive. She gave birth to an apparently healthy baby, but she developed a severe cough, caused either by tuberculosis or by an AIDS-related infection called PCP. Then she developed right-sided weakness, probably caused by a stroke. She was transferred to the medical ward, where I took care of her. Despite this awful turn of events, she remained cheerful and pleasant. She is 20 years old.

We have a visiting physical therapist, Patty Batdorf, and she began working with Elis. Through it all, Elis was cooperative, and gave a strong effort at getting up and walking.

Elis was discharged 2 weeks ago on TB treatment as well as anti-retroviral therapy, and returned today for follow-up. She was happy and cheerful as always. She has gained strength, and her cough has resolved. Her chest x-ray was completely normal.

Patty joined us in the exam room to assess her progress walking and regaining use of her right hand.

In the exam room it's easier to discuss personal details than it is on the ward. I asked Elis about her marriage. She and her husband are still married, although her husband is the one who gave her HIV. Also, it would not be unusual for a man here to reject a wife with debilitating medical problems, just because she cannot fulfill the practical duties of a wife, gardening, cooking, laundry, etc. She doesn't know what the future holds in this regard, but for the moment she and the baby are living with her parents.

Then I asked a question that I have often wanted to ask, but haven't usually been brave enough to ask. After first determining that her husband makes no profession of being a Christian, and that her parents are Christians, I asked why her father would have allowed (I assumed that he'd probably arranged) a marriage to a non-Christian man. Elis immediately jumped to her father's defense; "Oh, it's not Papa's fault! It's my own fault. I did what I wanted, and ran away with this man. Papa didn't make me marry him."

I felt a little embarrassed for making what may have seemed like an accusation, but Elis and her mother both put me at ease with a laugh and a smile. I couldn't help adding, "I guess this is why it's good for us to obey our parents." Again, that soft laugh and, "yes."

We prayed together, Elis, her mama, Patty and I; prayed for her healing, for strength and wisdom, for her husband, that he'd come to Christ, and that he'd step up and be a good husband. Please join us in praying.

4 comments:

  1. Andy, this story hits hard. I'm amazed that you have antiretrovirals to send home. In Cambodia I had a single day's dose that I bought on the black market that was in reserve for in case of an exposure. (24 hours to get to the city and find some more)
    We have some med students here from Wright University who just returned from Raleigh Fitkin. They have some kind of connection to a surgeon at your hospital they said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, everybody from Ohio or any of the bordering states claims a connection to Jim Radcliffe! He does a lot of speaking at the med schools when he's home, and lots of young people have been inspired both to come to PNG for elective rotations, and also to consider missions for the long-run.

    There is now a government antiretroviral program here. We had to jump through lots of hoops to become part of the program, but we are now. We have one full-time HIV nurse, and are in the process of hiring a second, and considering a third. It's a substantial part of our work these days. I used to think that I'd just leave the ARV stuff to others, but now I have to be involved to some extent. I'm not the most knowledgeable one here, but I've learned a lot.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought I'd mention that we have a pretty good maternal-child prevention program. We try to test every mother in labor, and get that critical first dose of ARVs into the positive ones during labor, and a dose to the baby right away. We have donated formula to give them to eliminate the additional risk of breast feeding. The talipes baby in the story (the smaller one whose mom is holding the bottle in the photo) is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi dr andy & judy bennett,

    im a final year student at otago university. i have been unable to contact you by email but would like to work with you for 6 weeks from may 25th to july 3rd please

    tolmi885@student.otago.ac.nz

    ReplyDelete