Monday, February 16, 2009

Preaching at a Bush Church

.
We've been to the Pugamil church many times, but not for a year or two, probably not since we've been blogging.

Judy had generously agreed that I would preach there today. She even remembered to tell me--yesterday! I had a sermon that I'm pretty sure I haven't preached there, so I managed to pull it off.

Part of the original plan was that a group of our friends from the station would go along. At the last minute I invited the Schmelzenbachs to go along. I also invited Harmon to preach. They agreed to go along, but I didn't get out of preaching.

Pugamil is a true bush church; kunai (grass) thatch, woven mats for walls, seating is on the floor. The Pugamil people have had some tough times. Since I was with them last, their community was torn apart by tribal fighting that included 2 murders, and the destruction of the houses and gardens of every member of the church. They had lost a pastor under difficult circumstances.

What I found today was an alive, growing, dynamic church. It was a joy to share with them from the Word, and to see one young lady re-commit her life to Jesus in the service. Today was also a sending time for a young man from the congregation who is leaving to attend Bible College.

No comments:

Post a Comment